Monday, August 28, 2006

Ernesto

Yes, Ernesto. I can't help but think of that Ernest guy who made all those movies named Ernest Does This and Ernest Does That. And now, we await his Latino brother, Ernesto.

I also think of Ernie, of Ernie and Bert fame. That guy is near and dear to my heart.
But once again, he's another joker.
I wouldn't take him too seriously.
I see a million rubber duckies blowing around amongst the fronds.

Either way, we're preparing again.
I hope he doesn't know the importance of being earnest.

I, for one, wanted to believe this year would be different. We have been through enough in the past two years. Hell, yes, we deserve a break.

I heard they are relieved over in New Orleans because it is the one year anniversary of Katrina, and this one looks like it won't be showing its face in their neck of the USA woods. I like to think of myself as a nice person, but I can't help but want to send this one Anywhere Else. I guess I'm selfish.

So, school is cancelled already for tomorrow.


I was out for three days of last week with the High Fever Virus. It was horrible. I was so relieved to finally be well and about to get into the swing of things again.

Erin finally went to her first day of middle school at her new school today. Now, by the time she goes in for her second day, it will be like the first day all over again.

Blowing off course a bit...
In poetic news, I got a rejection letter from Eclectica. I did get a personal note about how much they liked Weird Girls, so that was nice. Doesn't take much these days to make me smile, I suppose!

Time to send it out again. If anyone has any suggestions for it, let me know. Maybe this is a good time to consider trying some revisions. Wow. It has been around since December! I'm determined to get her settled in SOMEWHERE! I had also submitted First Jobs along with it. I would like to get that one a home as well, but I suppose it could also use a little more work. After all this time, I could really put a fresh perspective on them. I could also botch them up big time.

I was thrilled to get a postcard from michi, who is on holiday in Italy. It was a beautiful picture and a wonderful surprise. I love seeing her actual writing. I'll save it for when she is famous some day.

Time to get the kids to bed. Tomorrow is big hurricane prep day. It could be my last day of electricity for awhile, too. Gas is already scarce around here, and I couldn't find any bottled water at Publix this evening. Maybe they will get in more tomorrow. Anyway, we have to do the shutters, bring in all outside decoration, prepare and charge batteries and lanterns, see if we can get gas for the generator (at least we have one of those this year), fill tubs and containers with water, and PRAY!

4 Comments:

At 5:45 PM, Blogger PV said...

Good luck! We always buy water at Big Lots, they have huge bottles there for .38 and we drink bottled water all the time.

Ernesto will be a piece of cake! You probably won't even lose power!

 
At 6:11 PM, Blogger lorguru said...

thanks Pam, I think you are right about Ernesto.
We're about as ready as we plan to be for this one. We don't have enough water for a bit long outage, but like you said, I don't think we need it. Hopefully I can remember to plan ahead and get a good supply for now, since the season seems to be really ready to start!

 
At 10:23 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

Thanks for the reminder. We need to change the oil and gas in our generator.
You have hurricanes; we have blizzards and ice storms. At least you won't freeze to death if your power goes out. Small consolation, I know. ;)

 
At 3:01 PM, Blogger michi said...

glad the postcard made it to your mailbox alright, lauren!

but what do you mean "when she is famous"??? hmmm.

just kidding.

:)

glad ernesto decided not to stop by. or, rather, rush by.

m

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe with Bloglines