Monday, August 21, 2006

Day 1 Down

I survived my first day back to work. It is hard to believe that I have to go to bed soon and then wake up just to do it all over! Wasn't it enough to prove I could make it through this day? Do I really have to do it all again?
I have some great students to work with. I just wish I had a little more of a break here and there throughout the day. And it isn't easy teaching so many different subjects. I'm not an elementary school teacher, so I'm not used to that. I bought myself the Idiot's Guide to Global Warming for my Environmental Studies class. No, I'm not kidding.
I'm using the 7 Habits of Successful or Effective or Whatever it is Teens to begin my Writing course. That is the biggest class, and today I had them do little mini skits demonstrating the opposites of the good habits. They did an okay job with it. Getting this bunch to write will not be easy because many of them have dyslexia and it does not come easily to them. It is an interesting challenge. Right now I'm more or less getting them comfortable enough to open up.
I really need to get myself ready for tomorrow.
Erin missed her first day of school today because she can't seem to keep food down yet. She's been sick for almost a week now. That's just how bad this bug is.
Rachel went to her school for her first day today, and she is complaining because "these kids don't have a life!" She said she asked some what kind of music they like and they said jazz and the blues. For a favorite artist, they mentioned Elton John. Of course, my ultimately hip but less cultured child was looking for someone who shares a love for Panic! At the Disco or Fall Out Boy. We have had some arguments about the school already, and I can only hope that situation gets better. I have gone so out of my way to try to get my kids the best education possible, and I'm sick, and damn, I just don't feel like having this discusion tonight!

6 Comments:

At 1:08 AM, Blogger C. E. Chaffin said...

I admire the shit out of teachers. My middle daughter teaches high school science and my second ex-wife teaches language arts at the elementary level. She and used to have arguments about whole language. I was always opposed. Finally the research came around to favor my common sense. To communicate effectively one must understand the form, the structure of a language, else resign oneself forever to be less than a native speaker.

 
At 1:18 AM, Blogger Sharon Hurlbut said...

Congratulations on making it through the first day! I'm sure it will only get better as you adjust to the schedule and juggling all those classes. I can't imagine having to shift gears so many times during the day! Sorry to hear you've all been sick. I hope you feel better soon!

 
At 8:48 AM, Blogger PV said...

Boy, you hit the nail on the head about making it through one day - do you really have to go back? That's the thing about a job - it takes up all your time - forever! I haven't worked outside of the home for about 7 years, and in some ways, I don't want to - but I'm so isolated, I miss being around people.

There are never enough hours in the day. My 9 year old is an advanced honor student - and she already started the "I hate school!" ranting this year. It sure does get old fast.

 
At 4:43 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

Yup, work is that way...day after day, after day, after day....
Anyway, keeping busy makes the time go faster. ;)
Writing is THE HARDEST subject for Z. His brain goes WAY faster than his Tourettic hands can write it down, then his ADD makes him lose his train of thought. Totally frustrating for him!

 
At 1:18 AM, Blogger sam of the ten thousand things said...

Teaching is high art -- and I can't think of much I'd rather do for a living. Survival is key.

 
At 3:51 PM, Blogger PV said...

Lauren - are you prepared for Ernesto?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe with Bloglines