Saturday, July 22, 2006

Interview Updates

Yesterday I had my interview for a position as a closet designer. No, not someone who designs stuff but doesn't want anyone to know about it. I would actually be designing the shelving and drawers, etc. that people want installed. The real challenge of it is the selling part, because the compensation is 100% commission.

The highlight of the interview was watching the woman interviewer methodically pick dirt from under her nails with one of those one-time-use dental floss picks, while simultaneously boasting about how professional this company is compared to its competition. She fiddled with it for most of the conversation, until she needed to put it down to reach up her shirt and reposition the girls in her bra. No, I do not jest. (Heck, I'm curious to go interview with the competition just to see how they can top that. I imagine a man excusing himself in the middle of my employment history chatter to take a dump in the nearby bathroom, continuing shouting his questions through the wall while I hear plops and splashes and then the flush!)

Anyway, I wouldn't actually mind doing something like that for awhile, but the teaching position seems like a much better opportunity. Don't get me wrong, I love public displays of hygiene and all, but I just feel using my teaching talents to help kids is a big part of what I was put on earth to do. And this school is very, very small (14 students!) and I really like the director. That means a lot.

I called her yesterday to ask her if I could pick up some forms she wants me to get done (fingerprinting is one of them) and she mentioned what a nice time she had talking to me yesterday. She is going to be out of town until Wednesday, but said she would like to meet with me again next Friday. That sounds good.

I would be teaching English and Spanish and anything else non-math related that might come up. I also told her I would like to help her with marketing. I tried to look up information about the school before the interview and could find virtually nothing other than the address. I told her I could help make a nice website for them. I would enjoy that sort of thing.

I already cancelled the interview I had set for next Tuesday. That was strictly a sales position, and the product isn't of any interest to me. I think the only reason I sent them my resume in the first place was that I was starting to feel panic when I hadn't heard from anyone else. The tuition bills were piling up.

I'm actually pretty excited about how things are turning out.

4 Comments:

At 11:24 AM, Blogger Kelly K said...

How funny! I wonder what her idea of less professional is.

Good luck with the possible school position.

 
At 11:27 AM, Blogger PV said...

God. That dirt-digging loser was a major sign that you do not want to work there.

Stick with teaching - it's a paycheck and something else.

 
At 12:31 PM, Blogger lorguru said...

I forgot to mention that later in the interview, a manager came in to meet me who looked exactly like the 40 Year Old Virgin character. I was creeped out.

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger sam of the ten thousand things said...

Teaching is such a reward on many levels, and it all sounds like that's what will work out for you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe with Bloglines