Thursday, July 13, 2006

A Friend!

When I started my first round of 30:30 about ten months ago, I made some great online poet friends.
Today, one of those friends became an offline friend, as well!

Freada moved from Georgia to my town in Florida several months ago (she happens to be a Florida native). We talked many times about getting together, and we finally got our act together to make it happen.

We met at her adorable apartment just off the intercoastal. It is a small place with big charm (not unlike Freada herself, who is quite tiny and also full of charm). It is typical old-style Florida... and the most amazing feature is the courtyard with its meandering paths, aligned with tropical foliage and ponds of colorful fish. Freada and her cat posse are the self-appointed groundskeepers. Most impressive were the bromeliads and orchids in full bloom.

Freada is taking a copywriting course for which she must write about a favorite local restaurant. Much to my delight, she took me to this wonderful place called Hurricane __________(I only remember there were two words and one of them was hurricane!). The conch fritters, potato soup and pasta salad were all delicious, but the quaint, hurricane-by-the-sea decorations, complete with a metal sculpted hammerhead hanging from the ceiling, were what made it a stand-out experience. Of course, talking to Freada was the real highlight.

We covered many topics, but most conversation revolved around family, mental illnesses, and poetry. (We planned to read some of our own poetry, but we didn't get around to that this time.)

The afternoon flew by rather quickly, and I got the feeling we could have talked for a few days straight if we didn't have any other obligations. It was a blast.

Freada and I are both interested in finding some local poetry readings to attend, as well as local Toastmasters groups. We are also planning to get together at my place, same time next week.

4 Comments:

At 10:04 PM, Blogger C. E. Chaffin said...

So nice to meet an online friend in the flesh. I've met quite a few and will never forget them. They were all pretty much as I expected from their letters and writings, some even nicer than I imagined.

 
At 3:17 PM, Blogger michi said...

lauren, i am glad that you FINALLY got together! i look forward to seeing pictures of the two of you chatting away in the florida sunshine ...

say hi to freada from me,

m

 
At 3:28 PM, Blogger lorguru said...

I will! Unfortunately, it will have to be next time, since I didn't have my camera! :(
-lauren

 
At 9:23 PM, Blogger PV said...

That sounds wonderful! Nothing like two girls having lunch!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe with Bloglines