Sunday, July 23, 2006

Grrrrrrrr.....

I took the girls to the TriCounty Humane Shelter today. I used to be a volunteer there, taking pictures of the dogs for the newspaper, writing little bios, and walking them. I quit about a year ago when I was getting burned out and too sad about the ones that were there a long time, even though it is a no-kill shelter.
My daughters like to raise money to donate. They had their own little dog walking buisness called Whistle Walkers. They raised over one hundred dollars doing that last summer. They also sold lemonade about a week after Katrina hit, and donated it to their fund for pets that the shelter took in from New Orleans.
Today, we just brought in plastic bags for them, and a few dollars the girls have been saving up in a little piggy bank.
The shelter is on a beautiful site and is quite lovely. If you ever have seen Animal Cops: Miami, you may have seen it on TV. Abused or neglected animals from Miami are often brought there.
The girls can spend all afternoon with the dogs and cats, easily. Unfortunately, today I went to pet a lab mix, and the darn thing bit me. He snapped at my finger and made a pretty deep cut. I cleaned it well with their first aid kit, and headed home. I don't have insurance and I didn't want to make an issue for them (though I did report it so they know about that animal's problem). I think it will be okay. The animal is up to date on his shots, so I don't have to worry about that. I did have some left over antibiotics from Erhan's recent trip to the doctor (he had a bad reaction and didn't continue taking them after the first day) so I took some right away when I got home. I have mitral valve prolapse, so that is pretty important for me to do, although for that danger, taking them after could actually be too late.
I feel fine though. I'm sure if I keep it clean and dry for a couple of days I'll be okay.

The biter is pictured. His name is Augie. They said he would make a nice family pet. They didn't mention that they when they said family, they meant Manson Family.

UPDATE:
I decided to go to an urgent care facility to get a Tetanus shot. They gave me one shot that also had a Whooping Cough vaccine in it, which, I guess, they are recommending these days.

7 Comments:

At 9:52 PM, Blogger Kelly K said...

lol <-- at the Manson comment, not you. He is so cute though. Hope your finger heals well. Yet another thing we have in common ... my older son has mitral valve prolapse.
How awesome that your girls wish to give to such a cause instead of buying things that would only be lost or broken in weeks. It says something of their mother. Take care.

 
At 10:04 PM, Blogger lorguru said...

Thanks Kelly. I appreciate that.

 
At 1:16 AM, Blogger C. E. Chaffin said...

Black labs can be biters. Pasteurella Multicida should be covered in the abx, since it the commonest bacterium from a dog bite.

From monitoring your adventures it strikes me that your daughters must have a good parent.

Thine,

Dr. Chaffin

 
At 11:17 AM, Blogger PV said...

That's too bad that the dog had to damper (or dare I say ruin) your outing to the shelter. I've never been bitten by a dog before, does it hurt?

You and your girls are wonderful - it's nice to know there are unselfish people in the world.

 
At 2:21 PM, Blogger lorguru said...

nicky- thanks. At least I know this won't mean he will be put to sleep, since it is a no-kill shelter. They will be very careful who they let take him home, though.

c.e. -thanks for your advice and your compliment.
I need to hear those things because I'm very hard on myself.

pam -thanks a lot. I'm pretty proud of my girls!:)
From what I have read about you and your kids, we aren't the only ones!

-lauren

 
At 8:24 PM, Blogger PV said...

Well, not my kids. Just one of my spawn is interested in helping, the other is a very self-centered teenager!

 
At 9:10 AM, Blogger lorguru said...

you asked about the dog bite before...
I think the actual idea of it is the scariest part, but it does actually hurt a lot too. It really makes you think about what dogs are capable of if they want to hurt you, and how docile they normally are. My dogs would never bit me, I'm sure of that (unless sick or injured, etc.). Anyway, it still hurts, and it was't even deep or big enough to need stitches. It hurts me a lot because it is on my index finger of my right hand, which obviously, I have to use often (you know, picking my nose,...).
Anyway, you are lucky to never have been biten. I was biten when I was a little girl, riding my bike on the sidewalk. An Irish Setter chased after me and bit through my shirt and into my upper arm. I also had a friend's Border Collie draw a little blood from a finger one day while visiing her house. So, I've had my share of biting experience!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe with Bloglines