Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Name that Poem



I just rewrote a poem, and now the old title doesn't suit it. Here's the new version...
Any suggestions? (it is up for critique at
ITWS for other suggestions)



In summer keep cherries in the fridge
so on hot days you can pop one
in your mouth, hold it behind your teeth,
and tug until the stem stays behind.

(See how many times you can knot the stem.)

Don't bite right away.
Anticipate the juice.
Let it warm in the cavern
above your tongue.

Gently nudge to a space
between back teeth.
Bite down,
and suck in sweet syrup.

Push to the other side.

Bite more!

Swallow the meat as it separates
from the seed. Let juice
mingle with saliva.

Ready the pit.
Guide it with your tongue
behind front teeth, slightly parted.
Scrape and eat every bit
of body.

When completely clean, purse lips.
Aim where it will not stain,
and eject with the force
of a bullet.

-lrfg

3 Comments:

At 8:19 PM, Blogger Carl Bryant said...

I guess "loosing my cherry" is out of the question?

Sorry - somebody had to do it, and it had to be me.

 
At 11:27 PM, Blogger Amanda Auchter said...

I like the line:

Scrape and eat every bit
of body.

No idea for a title. I suck at titles, trust me.

 
At 7:28 PM, Blogger lorguru said...

Carl,
I was asking for that, wasn't I?

Thanks, Amanda.

It remains Untitled!

-lauren

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe with Bloglines